Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Welcome to My Favorite Dinner Recipes


At the age of 34, on Sunday, September 26, 2010 I suffered a stroke, which ended my legal career and left me temporarily paralyzed on my left side. I spent 11 fun filed days in the hospital and 11 days luxuriating in a rehab facility. I joke about those 22 days and the past year, but I haven't had a vacation in YEARS prior to "the accident." (From here on I will no longer be using the s-word).  I had been practicing law since 2002 and barely stopped working until I collapsed...at work of all places...on a Sunday! Thank goodness for my fast acting co-workers or else I wouldn't be blogging to you right today (whatever the date stamp on this entry is). 

When I woke up on Monday morning I felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest and sliding down on to the left side of my body. Not until I left the rehab did I realize I lost all pain sensation on the right side of my body. Can you imagine feeling an itch but never being able to satisfy that itch or being able to put your hand on a hot pot and not even realizing it until you see the scab on your hand a few days later? My face was in constant pain starting with my sinus area and radiating throughout. A steady stream of drool constantly threatened to escape the left side of my mouth.  Not being able to dress myself, bend, walk, and COOK!  The worst part of all was the sensation of being either on the Disney World teacups or feeling like I was just getting off. I was continually dizzy. Even when I closed my eyes the dizziness was unbearable!

What was my life before the accident? I was a practicing attorney for 8 years, too many pounds overweight, but given a clean bill of health by my ph two days prior to my accident.  Boy, was she wrong! Although I hated my profession due to stress, I could never find the resolve to walk away and find my true passion. At the time my latest excuse was that the job market and economy was tanking, so it as best that I stay put "for now." For the longest time though, I had been asking for a way out. Oddly, this stroke has given me no choice but to find something different to spend my productive years doing.  For that reason, I'm grateful for the stroke. But for this accident, I would have not had the strength to make this change. Now, I am unable to do the work, and therefore, have no choice. THANK YOU!

While I was in the rehab facility I spent quite a bit of time listening to the Cooking Channel. Their motto, by the way, is "Stay Hungry." Listening to that message every day several times a day was one of many things that helped pull me through. I also listened to the Boomerang Channel and Cooking Channel.  The retro cartoons brought me back to a simpler time in my life.

But "Stay Hungry." Cooking Channel's slogan remains with me to this day. While I was listening to Cooking Channel...

Let me pause the story here for a second. I bet you're asking, "Why was she listening to TV?" Well, the dizziness was so horrible that I spent the better part of two months with my eyes closed as the room spun around me. Without getting too technical I had cranial nerve damage, which left me double vision and dizziness still today. I'm just much more tolerant of it now.

(Back to my story...) An exercise for my eyes that I did on my own while in the rehab was writing on a pad or typing out on the memo pad on my cell phone the menu for dinner parties with various themes, celebrating various holidays, or catering events I had catered in my home in the past but with a brand new menu.  Seven courses, a little gift, and the wine and spirits options several times a day worked my brain, 

By Thanksgiving I directed my brother on how to make one of my famous (in my mind anyway) bread puddings and by December I was sitting up and chopping a little bit (until I sliced my finger)!  One year later, with much assistance I cook many of my favorite dinner party recipes and test out new recipes. I'm also looking forward to the next year of having dinner parties and sharing my menus and recipes with you!

Now, that I've told you my story, LET'S GET COOKING!




No comments:

Post a Comment