Pages

Monday, November 7, 2011

Thanksgiving Dinner Preparation 2011

(As of the original posting of this article)  We are a little more than 2 weeks away from Thanksgiving and I can't wait to get cooking! My mother and I are responsible for the menu and dolling out the responsibility to the family. There are some dishes we look forward to every year, some that are brand spanking new, and other are unexpected. Here's how my family's menu looking so far:

ENTREE AND SIDES

1.  Turkey (of course) - We may roast or deep fry. We'll see how my big brother feels.

2.  Honey Ham - Updated 11/18/2011 - We're gong to have a 2 meat option. Update 11/22/2011 - we're making the ham instead of buying it pre-made and reheating it...I'm worried...

3.  Giblet Gravy - I braise the innards packed away in the bag in the cavity! It's DEE-LISH!

4.  Cornbread Dressing - I bake my cornbread muffins the day before for this dish.  Hopefully, they won't all get eaten before cook time! :-)

5.  Brown Sugar Glazed Roasted Sweet Potato - Mom's tried and true classic dish will make an appearance.

5.  Sweet Potato Souffle - Updated 11/18/2011 - We had a special request for this so buh bye goes the Brown Sugar Glazed Roasted Sweet Potato.  We'll be using a recipe we adapted from Tyler Florence. DEE-LISH!

6.  Green Bean Casserole (w/ Caramelized Onion) - This is not your usual dish, but the Johanne version with a kick!

7.  Baked Macaroni Pie - a delicious dish from my uncle's wife! OMG! SSSSOOOOO GOOD!

8.  Yeast Rolls - Check out this recipe and video from Divas Can Cook! This will be on my table this year! Update 11/21/2011: The yeast rolls are back on the menu!

8.  Trini Hot Cross Buns - I've always wanted to make this, so I'm going to make these rolls and try the yeast rolls for Christmas.  Update 11/21/2011: I'll make these for Easter instead...or maybe I should have a brunch.

9.  Steamed Cabbage Slaw Update 11/21/2001 -Mom's getting creative...no recipe yet. I'll post after Thanksgiving when Mom figures it out! :-)

DESSERTS - Update: 11/21/2011 I'm passing on the dessert responsibilities on to my cousin at My Loaves of Love!  Great things are baking over there! :-)

1.  Pumpkin Bread Pudding

2.  Pineapple Upside-Down Cake  I'll make this for Christmas.

3.  Apple Spice Loaf - Updated 11/18/2011 - A special request again

3.  Jello Salad - this is not your ordinary jello and fruit cocktail combination! :-)  I'll make this for Christmas instead.

I LOVE Thanksgiving dinner with my family.  We like to sit and eat comfortably so dinner is done buffet style in front of my brother's big screen TV! Eating, drinking, and being merry are the only three things on our agenda that day! :-)  WAIT...and Watching football...so four things...

My family is very small, so we'll be having a very small group, maybe only 8 to 10. people  I don't think we'll need more than this, but I feel like adding one more dessert. What do you think? 

The recipes I'll post, probably one a day, until I get them all up for you.  The pictures of the dish I'll post after Thanksgiving.  I don't think I'll have the time for the step by step this time around, but I hope to have some include the step-by-step pics. 

OH! I can't wait to post the recipes and pictures from this dinner, but even more excited about eating this feast! :-)

NOW, LET'S GET COOKING!





1 comment:

Angrestorm said...

UPDATE! Mom's bringing a honey glazed ham! I can't wait! :-D

Post a Comment