Pages

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Haitian Cuisine: Soup, Soup, and more Soup

I was brought up eating soup, and I love it! My Mother's soups are hearty enough to be the main entree accompanied by some buttered french crusty bread. On Saturday in my Mom's domain there's usually something bubbling on the stove simmering away.  The flavor party begins early morning when all of the ingredients are set to cook individually.  Then by 12PM the aroma of the kitchen draws anyone awake who may have had too much fun the night before.  By 1PM ladles start dropping! My Mother I call Saturday our date day, so before we head out for our day of running errands, visiting Grandpa, and shopping, a bowl of soup fills us up nice and right! 

All of my Mom's soups are those stick-to-your-ribs-keeping-you-fueled-for-hours type of food.  Over the next few months I'll be posting Soup Joumou (traditionally eaten on January 1st or whenever my Mom darn well pleases to make it). Bouillon (which is anything but the flavorful cubes made by Maggie), and Sauce Pois (translated bean soup).  

Today's Haitian soup offering is Chaka, a delicious melange of dried corn, chickpeas, red beans,  smoked meat, and squash.  WARNING: Chaka, this odd combination of DEE-LISH is chock full of fiber *wink* *wink* so be prepared to "sit" for a spell after a bowl of soup. :-) Enjoy!

NOW LET'S GET COOKING!



Haitian Chaka Soup

2 comments:

Martin S said...

Hello. Are you aware that Blogger-Index.com has stolen the contents of your site?

Please check here for proof:
http://www.blogger-index.com/2065005-my-favorite-dinner-recipes

and also here:
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/blogger/thread?tid=1d61957d06152db0&hl=en

Angrestorm said...

Wow...thank you for letting me know!

Post a Comment