Pages

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Just Grateful...

It's been a year since I left the rehab facility. When I left I was wheeled out and hauled into my mother's SUV. I spent when felt like the next 1 hr in completely misery. I've never been so car sick and scared in my life! I felt every bump on the road, and wiggle in the cab of my mom's RAV4. I even felt the cars whizzing by next to us in the road.  The day was overcast...I had not been outside since my transport from the hospital to the rehab.  The sun felt good on my skin but the light was sooooo bright and painful on my eyes...

When I entered the hospital I thought I was going to either die or be diagnosed with food poisoning and be ok.  When I entered the rehab I was told I'd be able to walk out of there and I'd be back to normal. When I left the rehab I was still unable to walk, still feeling like I had just come off the teacups at Disney, when I peaked through my eye lids everyone and everything was double. I think the day I left the rehab was the scariest day of my life. I didn't know what my future would be, if I'd walk on my own, if I'd see again, if I'd hear properly, if I'd feel pain on my right side...

Today, I maintain an attitude of gratitude. I'm grateful that I know which fingers are the real fingers and which are the double while I'm slowly chopping vegetables! LOL! I'm grateful that I work up a sweat like I was sitting in a sauna while I cook these dishes. I'm grateful that my mother puts up with my control freak nature while she serves as my sou chef (make stands close by with the first aid kit). I'm grateful for the stool in my kitchen, which has not broken under my increasing weight because of my lack of activity. I'm grateful for quite a few things, and I will focus on what I'm able to do today, which is more than when I left the rehab facility.

No comments:

Post a Comment