Pages

Monday, October 17, 2011

The Most Perfect Comfort Meal...


Think about it for a second. What do you look for in a comfort meal, when you're not counting calories, not following the latest diet craze, maybe having an extra hard day? Me personally, I'm a good ole fashion meat and potatoes kinda girl. Sometimes I like my comfort food fried, sometimes baked like a casserole, but I always seek out some combo of meat and potatoes to comfort me when I'm just having one of those days. 

These days, when I'm flipping through my many recipes to cook and post I find myself gravitating towards those dishes I know will comfort me.  Last week was kind of a tough week for me both physically and emotionally. During those kinda weeks I seek out wings and fries, burgers ad onion rings, pizza and bread sticks.  Last week was Shepard's Pie! OMG IT WAS SOOOOOOO GOOD! Boy did it hit the spot. 

I had never even heard of Shepard's Pie until I was 14 years old. My friend Edna (RIP. You will never be forgotten!) brought in this beef and cheese thing sandwich by baked mashed potato...*sigh* I still remember it! Even at room temperature that mess of something was good as I dunno what! So I asked her, "Girl, what the hell is this mess!" And she's all, "I dunno, but my mom makes it all the time. Mashed potato on the bottom, ground beef slapped on top of that, sprinkled with cheddar cheese, then topped with another layer of mashed potato." What was the occasion? I think it was a potluck in history class and folks brought all kinds of food. I remember Jerry brought plantain chips...that just doesn't work unless eaten when it's fresh out of the oil...what did I bring? I don't even remember...maybe the plates or utensils...but I digress...

That night I ran home to my mom that day and gave her my usual discour on the day's event and relayed Edna's mom's "potato and meat thingy." Mom's and my mouths watered again.  That Friday we bought everything we needed and mom banged out one hell of a "meat and potato thingy" for the 1st time that weekend. What we realized is that this is a dish best made on day 1 and eaten on day 2. So that's what mom did going forward. She's make it on Sunday, let it cool completely, then reheat it then next day with some steam veggies for dinner.  This way the dish firms up completely, mashed potato doesn't fall apart, and the seasoning in the meat really gets a chance to penetrate. It wasn't until I went to law school that I realized the name of this dish was Shepard's Pie!

Now, in this new phase of my life I'm seeking out new ways to cook old favorite comfort dishes.  I came across Paul Deen's Shepard's Pie and was blown away! I never in a million years would have thought to layer cornbread batter over the top of this dish.  Still, my recipe is a spin even on Paula Deen's yummy spin.  Try them both! Tell me what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment